…Skin Care Thursday…
Would you believe me if I disclosed the fact that you’ve most likely ingested crushed beetles from your foods or cosmetics?
Peru is the largest exporter, of the cochineal beetle. The female bodies are dried and boiled in water to create an acid which is then used to produce a red or pink dyeing agent for food and cosmetics. It takes approximately 40,000 cochineal bugs to produce one pound of cochineal extract.
Yes it’s true companies are crushing these little bugs to add color to your foods and lip and eye make up. Check your labels when purchasing yogurt, ice cream, strawberry milk, fake crab or lobster meat, maraschino cherries, port wine cheese, skittles, and many more food items.
But it won’t read “beetles” on the ingredient label. Look for the code words: [COCHINEAL EXTRACT] or [CARMINE]. Carmine can cause allergic reactions such as sneezing, asthma, hives, and in some cases anaphylactic shock. Oh and yes this colorant is approved and deemed safe by the FDA!
Some will argue it’s a natural dye, sounds like green washing to me.
What’s wrong with deeply pigmented fruits and vegetables?
raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, or blackberries for shades of red, pink and purples
lutein from marigolds, beta carotene from carrots, or lycopene from tomatoes
What are your feelings on crushed beetle ingestion?